WARN users of caffeine pills, codeine-based headache remedies

Norman S. Soley soley at ontenv.UUCP
Mon Jul 4 13:11:34 AEST 1988

I'm moving this to misc.legal as it really doesn't belong here (in
comp.org.usenix) anymore.

In article <747 at applga.UUCP>, simmons at applga.uucp (Steve Simmons) writes:
> In article <88Jun16.184430edt.20815 at sq.sq.com> bud at sq.uucp (Bud Greasley) writes:
> >[A warning to those travelling to USENIX about the zero tolerance
> > program, with a fair amount of flaming thrown in]
>
> Golly gee, I didn't know we were so awful.  Apparently you haven't
> crossed into Canada lately.  Last weekend I got told I couldn't bring
> my guitar in by a Canadian customs agent.  Seems I couldn't prove it
> wasn't a gift for someone.  After some discussion, proof that I could
> play it, and clear display that the guitar was old and beat up they
> let me thru.  This is reasonable?

Your problem is that you did not follow the proper procedure! anyone
who crosses the border (in either direction) frequently with expensive
items (guitars, cameras, walkmans etc.) should know that they should take
out an export permit on these items or carry the bill of sale. Canada customs
issues unlimited use permits (they're little green cards) and you can
get them at crossing time. The U.S. customs service on the other hand
requires that you get a permit each time you plan to cross the border
and it must be done in advance at your local customs service office.

> Lighten up.  Every country has idiotic laws, and flaming them will never
> make the situation better.  A simple posting saying "dos and don'ts" would
> be much more reasonable.  Therefore I've compiled a few notes below.  I'm
> not a customs agent, just a traveller, so these are not complete by any
> means.  Note that they apply to returning to your home country as
> well!
>
> Drugs:  Careful.  Don't even think about it if they're recreational.  If
>   medical, you will need a signed note from your physician stating what
>   the drug is and why you need it.  *Declare it* at the border, and don't
>   argue if they take it away -- you'll just get in grouble for hassling
>   them.  If you *don't* declare it and they find it, expect the worst.

Suprisingly it seems that most of the arrests and seizures in the zero
tolerance program have been people trying to take drugs out of the US
into Canada (outnumbering the other direction 2-1). And do remember
that cigarette papers and anything else which could be considered
"drug paraphenailia" can get you arrested too!

> Food:  Risky.  Many foods are restricted by tarriff, many more for reducing
>   spread of crop diseases.  Fresh fruit are welcomed by some, burned by
>   others (Arizona is notorious).  Better to hit a local grocery store after
>   your arrival.

Pork products as well are a common problem. The US will only allow in
citrus if it bears a stamp proving American origin (e.g. Sunkist)

> Liquor:  Call your local agent.  Often you can do the best by buying in
>   your duty-free shop leaving home.  But don't try to bring it back with
>   you.  If you're taking liquor back home, buy it duty-free as you leave.

At the duty free or not does not matter! Both countries have maximum
amounts of liquor and cigarettes that you are allowed to carry across
with you. It is possible to buy tobacco products in Canada which
cannot be taken legally into the states (i.e. Cuban in origin)

> Personal Possessions:  Astonishing what some agents will object to.  The
>   best bet is to make sure you have all clothes which are clearly not
>   brand new.  Three pair of perfectly new shoes is not a good idea.  You
>   Canadians especially should be careful bringing in leather goods.  Pick
>   things you have worn enough that one can tell.  Don't try to bring
>   computers and tapes and floppies either direction.  Ditto other electronic
>   componenets.

As I said before get export permits for any expensive items! I've
crossed the border 100's of times, been inspected a few and never had
clothing or other such items questioned (unless it still had the tags
on or in a new shopping bag)

> In general customs agents *are* reasonable.  But hassle them and they'll
> hassle right back -- and they can hassle lots harder than you can.

In addition:

Firearms: Don't even think of handguns! and make sure you have the
necessary permits and licences etc. for hunting weapons. If you fail
to declare firearms when you cross the border from the US into Candada
and get caught you can kiss your guns goodbye, they will be shredded
or melted and you will be turned away.

In another related issue:

It seems that American Customs agents are seizing large quantities of
circuit boards and computer software at the border for suspicion of
copyright violation. By way of example ATI Technologies, the maker of
the ATI Wondercard and Graphics solution cards has had thousands of
units siezed at the border for often months at a time. The boards have
been examined in both a customs service laboratory and a IBM
laboratory and no evidence of copyright infringement has been found.
No charge has ever been laid and yet the seizures continue.

The president of ATI alledges that this is a deliberate attempt on the
part of US computer companies to force foriegn competition out of
business by pressuring the US Customs Service to use unfair or dare I
say it, illegal tactics, to restrict the ability of foreign companies
to get their products to the American Market.
--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utgpu!ontmoh!------------\              VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623