WARN users of caffeine pills, codeine-based headache remedies

Norman S. Soley soley at ontenv.UUCP
Sun Jun 19 03:10:17 AEST 1988

In article <88Jun16.184430edt.20815 at sq.sq.com>, bud at sq.uucp (Bud Greasley) writes:
> This will primarily interest ``foreigners'' (Canadians, Europeans,
> and people from all parts of the Americas other than the U.S.A)
> planning to attend USENIX or otherwise visit the U.S.A.:
>
> However, Ronald Raygun's ``War on Drugs'' now includes
> a ``zero tolerance program'' which means that the state
> will seize (permanently) as much of your property as it can,
> for even the mildest offense. There are reports that people
> crossing the border have lost (permanently) their cars
> (a booming business; the U.S. Govt resells the cars and
> uses the money to finance the folks who seize cars
> at the border...) and other stuff, just for the crime
> of trying to stay awake while driving (i.e., having
> caffeine in the form of pills) or at boring meetings.

The original poster's comments may be a little unnecessarily political
FOR THE GROUP IT'S POSTED IN non-the-less his warning is valid. The US
customs service is not setting out to arrest anyone for legal, over the
counter medicines but there have been 'mistakes' made. As well be
warned that common items used by tobbaco smokers may be considered
drug paraphenalia (sp?), if you roll your own or smoke a pipe you
might be better off waiting til you're across the border to buy papers
or a new pipe.

If you do get wrongly arrested for legal materials be prepared to put
a bond on your car to stop them from selling it before your case comes
to trial.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	utgpu!ontmoh!------------\              VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623