C++ considered disenchanting

Dave Brower daveb at gonzo.UUCP
Sun Oct 23 04:54:13 AEST 1988

In article <328 at pvab.UUCP> robert at pvab.UUCP (Robert Claeson) writes:
>Funny, I had the same feelings and read Bertrand Meyer's book about
>Eiffel. Seems to me like one of the best oo languages available today.

With the (possible) exception of Ada, the main thing that gets people to
move towards a new language is the availability of a cheap workable
implementation.  C came with your Unix system, C++ has the cheap site
license and a free G++.

Eiffel, which looks interesting, has one implementation, a real-priced
commericial product.  The same is basically true of Euclid, which 5 years
ago looked as interesting as Modula-2.  Modula-3, for which we've just
seen some propaganda, is also not available.

AT&T did a very smart thing with c++, getting a seed implementation out
cheaply to build a core user base.  Others might take a lesson.

-dB