USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sat Dec 16 02:21:06 AEST 1989

In article <SPENCER.89Dec13124514 at spline.eecs.umich.edu> spencer at eecs.umich.edu (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:
>You should all read the Viewpoint column in this month's CACM.  John
>McCarthy writes "Networks considered harmful for electronic mail".

Yeh, I read about it. It'd take a trivial change to uucp to support
"mail phone-number!user", and after that it's a matter of politics
to get people to allow the anonymous UUCP login.

There wasn't a hell of a lot of meat to that article. It's nothing that
gobs of people haven't been saying all along. It just takes someone to
write the code.

Change 1: you'd need to get uucp to do the connect to phone-number.
Change 2: you'd need to get uucp to identify itself as your-phone-#
	when it makes the connection.
Change 3: you'd need to do something about the chat script.

All we need to get it started is to get someone to make the changes
and ship the code. Certainly fair game for the Usenix folks.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter at ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter at ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter at sugar.lonestar.org>.