USENIX Board Studies UUCP

Dave Hamaker dwh at cfcl.UUCP
Wed Dec 6 19:22:42 AEST 1989

This thread seems likely to be followed by people with unusual interest in
and/or knowledge of modem file-transfer protocol issues.  I can't resist
the chance to reach that audience, although the relevance to the subject
at hand is marginal.  It could become relevant, but it really isn't yet.

You see, I have produced a specification for a file-transfer protocol which,
I believe, takes a very fresh look at the problem.  I think it is capable of
operating under any communications conditions that Kermit can handle, while
being able to (slightly) outperform Zmodem (or anything else I am aware of).
The design is emphatically public domain.

I will be happy to email the specification document to anyone interested.
Be forewarned that it is about fifty pages worth of text.  If you might be
tempted to try implementing the design, I would love to hear from you.  I
would also cherish ruthless criticism.

-Dave Hamaker
dwh at cfcl.UUCP
...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!hoptoad!cfcl!dwh