BOF Announcement - Netnews User Interfaces (yet again)

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US
Wed Jun 7 10:27:05 AEST 1989

In article <8906032109.AA13764 at net.bio.net> fair at apple.com, lear at net.bio.net writes:

>We especially invite implementors and perspective implementors to
>attend our session.  Again, ideas are nice.  Implementations are
>nicer.

I was thinking of implementing a perspective but I had a real hard time
rounding up any prospective users for it.  :-)

Pardon me for being overly picky today, this just struck me as a humorous
tip of a frightening iceberg.  Don't they teach English in our schools
anymore?  With the use of computers becoming more prevalent in todays
society the proper use of English, or lack thereof, by computer
programmers is going to play an increasingly important role in the
education of our young people.  We are sending out a message that proper
use of English is not something to strive towards.  I'm not saying that I
am perfect or that everyone should be perfect and I don't mean to imply
that Erik or Elliot are particularly bad.  I just think that the proper
use of English, including proper spelling and making sure you are using
the correct word, is something that we all need to pay more attention to.
Would you want your children learning English grammar and spelling by
reading netnews?  How about by reading some of the technical manuals that
I have had the pleasure to read or the output of some of the programs I
have seen?  I think knot!  :-)
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US   {rayssd,xanth,lazlo,mirror}!galaxia!dave