Hospitality suites (summary)

David Herron -- One of the vertebrae david at ms.uky.edu
Fri Jun 2 10:21:03 AEST 1989

I agreed with most all of this posting, but something struck me
as I read it.

In article <72353 at pyramid.pyramid.com> wendyt at pyrps5.pyramid.com (Wendy Thrash) writes:
>If you want to serve wine, look for something decent, not Gallo Hearty
>Burgundy.  If nobody in your organization knows enough to select a low-priced
>but good wine, then you probably shouldn't serve it.

A good wine is important if you're serving wine, but there's something
most people don't know.  Most of the wines in the world have lots of
sulfites left in 'em by the vintner.  Sulfites are used in the brewing
process at the beginning to sterilize the wine, and usually at the end
to stop the fermentation.  They're very convenient because otherwise you
have to boil the wine before fermentation -- and not all people are comfortable
with boiling wine, and stopping the fermentation is a tricky business
without sulfites.

Unfortunately some people, like my most recent girlfriend, are very
sensitive to sulfites.  We discovered this about her one night after
she'd had about 3 glasses of wine, she got very serious pains in
her chest, had a hard time breathing, and basically felt very very bad.
So bad she started to want to go to the hospital, but fortunately it
passed within 10 minutes after she lay down.  She gets milder reactions
with as little as 1 glass of wine, but still gets a reaction.

Ever since then I've started paying attention to that

	Contains Sulfites

notice on the bottle and avoiding those wines even though I have
no reaction to them.

It may not be something that stands out, but what if someone drinks
wine at your H.S. without checking and gets a reaction?
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david at ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET