hotel distances

Roy Smith roy at phri.nyu.edu
Sun Jul 15 15:52:06 AEST 1990

henry at zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
> many people don't have a very good feel for how long it takes them to
> walk, say, 57 furlongs. :-)

	Case in point; at the San Diego Usenix, the conference hotel was all
filled up and they suggested putting me up in their sister hotel "just
across the road".  They didn't mention that "the road" was a superhighway,
not to mention that to even get from the conference area to "the road" you
had to hike through the entire hotel complex parking lot which must have
been a good 1/4 of a mile.  When I agreed, I had visions of being able to
duck into my hotel room between sessions to pick something up or drop
something off; no such luck; it was a good 10 minutes each way.

	They also didn't tell you that you could stay in the Budget Motel
for half the price, get a room that was just as nice, and be a few hundred
yards closer, which I did after the second night.  Even had phones that let
you use your AT&T calling card without tacking on some evil hotel charges.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"