USENIX and South Africa

Peter Salus peter at world.std.com
Tue Jun 5 00:18:11 AEST 1990

I note that once again the question of the USENIX Association's
control of its membership is on the Board agenda.

As I think that this gets introduced periodically as a totally
bogus issue, I'm putting in my two cents.

The South African government and electorate are (by any
definition except their own) evil and oppressive.  The
Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986 enjoins U.S.
companies from exporting computer information to South
Africa.  Recently, the Commerce Department has permitted
export to some academic institutions.  I do not believe
that the release of Nelson Mandela has changed things a
great deal.  I do not think that selective exports in
any way restrict the oppressive regime.  I see no relaxation
of South African offenses against Indians, racially mixed
individuals or couples, Jews, or other non-Anglo, non-Afrikaans
groups.

I see no reason why I should (even indirectly) help a
police state gain better control through transaction
processing programs, for example.

When their purses hurt enough, they may relax their
oppression.

To hell with them.

Peter H. Salus

--

The difference between practice and theory in practice is always
greater than the difference between practice and theory in theory.