Receptions outside the hotel (Was: W91 USENIX in retrospect)

Leonard Len H. Tower Jr. tower at buita.bu.edu
Wed Feb 6 13:29:37 AEST 1991

In article <210 at canstar.UUCP> sonya at canstar.UUCP (Sonya D. Neufer) writes:
|For Example, I have heard the suggestion that the USENIX
|"get-together" should be held outside the conference hotel.

2 points:

1) The reception should only be held outside the Hotel, when there is a
real interesting or nifty place near by, that makes it worth while to
move 2,000 people several miles and spend the $$$.

* The Exploratorium in San Francisco was perfect.  I hope USENIX does
a repeat in January 1992.

* The "Dude Ranch" Amusement Park in Phoenix was interesting, but
marginal.

* If Judy could have booked the White House or National Zoo, when we
were in Washington, DC, it would have been cool (well, very cold at
the Zoo).

* Disneyland in Anaheim, (particularly, if they could take us back
stage, with a behind the scene tour).

* The Computer Museum in Boston.

But I don't know of any place in Dallas, or San Diego that would make
an outside reception worth it (if you do, share them with Judy and
Ellie a year or so before we go back to those cities).

2) If there isn't a neat locale outside the Hotel, I would prefer to
see USENIX skip the reception and schedule another BOF slot instead.
And put the saved dollars elsewhere.

I can have two really good restaurant meals for what Hotels charge for
a single reception.

Perhaps this should be a question on the next member survey?

thanx -len