Member or Non-Member??

Toni Veglia toni at usenix.ORG
Thu May 2 05:18:15 AEST 1991

In Message-ID: <281494C7.5E2E at ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu> cgregory at ziggy.cs.uiuc.
edu (Christine Gregory) writes:

>In article <1991Apr23.171854.17789 at nmt.edu> rmilner at zia.aoc.nrao.edu (Ruth Milner) writes:
>" In article <7625 at tekgen.BV.TEK.COM> mike at raven.bv.tek.com (Michael Ewan) writes:
>" >In article <280E1E92.4C41 at ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu> cgregory at ziggy.cs.uiuc.edu (Christine Gregory) writes:
>" >>
>" >>Question: If my employer is a group (corporate, or whatever it's called)
>" >>		member of Usenix, but I, personally, am not, which fee
>" >>		should be paid for the technical sessions: member or non-
>" >>		member??
>" >
>" >I had the same question a couple of years ago.  You yourself are not a
>" >member so you pay the higher price.
>"I missed the original posting in its entirety, but if you are there on
>"your employer's behalf, i.e. they are paying for the trip and you are
>" taking what you learn back to them, then you are part of the "group"
>"your employer paid  membership for, and therefore you pay the member
>"rate. Just quote the group number on your registration.

>After I posted that question, I found this in the brochure (p. 18 under
>"Technical Sessions Fee Schedule"):

>*The member rate applies to current individual members of the
>USENIX Association.                 ^^^^^^^^^^

>My registration was sent in today -- with the HIGHER fee.
>So, did my employers pay $50 more than they needed to, or not?

Educational and Corporate memberships to the USENIX Association have
only one designated contact person, and this person is the only one
who receives the discount at conferences and symposiums.

The note about the member rate in the conference brochure refers to
either the individual USENIX member, or the individual who represents
the Corporate or Educational membership.

So if you are not the designated contact person for your employer's
membership, then you do pay the extra $50.  You can, however, check the
box on the form that will allow this fee to go towards your own individ-
ual membership.

If you have any questions concerning this, please contact us at
office at usenix.org.

The USENIX Association Staff