usr/group changing their name

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.on.ca
Mon May 15 00:09:14 AEST 1989

In article <1180 at dell.dell.com> sauer at dell.UUCP (Charlie Sauer) writes:
>In article <199565 at hrc.UUCP> dan at hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
>>I have heard that usr/group is considering changing their name. What are
>>they changing it to, and WHY?!?

>At UniForum in S.F., I believe it was Ed Palmer who said that the tentative
>plan was to change the name to UniForum (I may have the F in the wrong case).

I was at the press conference where Ed Palmer and others announced the change.
As I read it :-), the reasons were:

- Difficulty of the non-Unix computer community to pronounce or spell the
  name /usr/group correctly;

- In this age of the maturing Unix marketplace, '/usr/group' comes across
  as something a bunch of hackers once thought was real clever;

- The board now considers it more of a trade organization than a user group.

I don't really care enough to agree or disagree with the above premises. But
that's what I think they are.

--

Evan Leibovitch, SA, Telly Online, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
   evan at telly.on.ca / {uunet!attcan,utzoo}!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504