My Apology (was Re: Bickering)

C. Harald Koch chk at dciem.dciem.dnd.ca
Wed May 31 00:27:26 AEST 1989

In article <612519010.21650 at ontmoh.UUCP> peter at ontmoh.UUCP (Peter Renzland) writes:
>My followup to CHK's recent article was an attempt to hold up a mirror.
>Unfortunately this resulted in an article which by its rude and angry
>tone may have done more to offend readers than to implore users to keep
>from bashing the good guys that go to bat for them.
>
>This not only reflected poorly upon myself, but may have damaged the
>sincere and caring efforts of others by supporting them with blunt
>language and caustic words.  For this latter part I apologize.

I too would like to apologize for the tone of my original article. It was
not quite what I intended to write. My intention was not to criticize the
efforts of the members of this group. Peter, Paul, Greg, and many others are
fighting hard to represent the user population. I would like to apologize
for sounding so negative, and to congratulate you all on your efforts.

Unfortunately, I am as bad as every other techie I know at expressing myself
in writing.

What I was trying to criticize was the *appearance* of your actions in this
newsgroup. I have not seen any of the issues discussed here (except for a
long posting about the current state of affairs from Evan, I believe). Most
postings lately have been snide remarks between several people, with little
content. Perhaps I am being unreasonable even here. If so, I will shut up
now.

It was mentioned that these remarks may have been an attempt at humor. If
so, they were almost certainly inside jokes. As all us netters should know
by now, humor, sarcasm, etc. *never* comes across well in text.

I apologize for my harsh words. I will try harder to become actively
involved in unix-unanimous in the future.

--
Grandpa Charnock's Law:	 | C. Harald Koch  NTT Systems, Inc., Toronto, Ontario
You never really learn	 | chk at gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca	   (long-term address)