Message number 2? - (nf)

sdc at uvacs.UUCP sdc at uvacs.UUCP
Thu Dec 22 14:03:36 AEST 1983

That means that only VMS is dumb enough to have a message that
says "I have no message".  That reminds me of a funny story...

We used to use "Pascal MT+" on our z80 systems.  One of its
command line options was "quiet mode", which was supposed to
turn off all the "user friendly" feedback, like when it said

parsing...

and so on.  Well, it turns out that all the compiler did when
you selected "quiet mode" was to output an extra message:

**** QUIET MODE SELECTED ****

on top of all the other garbage.  Neat, huh?

But seriously, I think that message number 2 means that some program
exited with a "vms status" of 2, and that vms did not recognize
the value 2 in its repertoire of exit conditions.  So rather
than just ignoring the message, vms decided to say something,
however meaningless.

I think it's safe to say you can ignore it.

Scott Carson
...mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!sdc		at Univ. of Virginia
...mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!iedl02!sdc	at General Electric