crp files

Ken Shoemaker kds at intelca.UUCP
Mon Aug 20 15:29:26 AEST 1984

Has anyone else had files named "crp" show up in your directories?
It seems to have something to do with using pipes in Eunice.  Is
there any way to make sure that they don't get generated, or at
least, if they must be generated, that they will go away?

And another thing I find particularily (!) annoying with Eunice,
has anyone figured out how to create unique process name related
files for files that stay around after a process "dies."  In
Eunice, a process just doesn't die, but for performance reasons,
is stays around, waiting to be used by the next fork that comes
around.  As a result, process numbers are no longer unique
in non-concurrent processes (at least in Unix, you have to
wait for 30000 other procs before your number comes up again).
Also, because VMS has such long process number, the Eunice
process number isn't the real process number, as far as I
can tell.  It seems that 187, 186, 191, 194 are very common
process number reported by Eunice shells (using the $$
shell thingy).  Anyway, anybody out there found a cheap way
around this?  What I have managed to do is pull some of the
fields out of "date" and used them, but that requires using
something like "awk."
--
Ken Shoemaker, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,amd,scgvaxd,dual,idi,omsvax}!intelca!kds

---the above views are personal.  They may not represent those of Intel.