mkdir refuses to

Steve Williams steve at drivax.UUCP
Fri Dec 7 16:47:55 AEST 1984

> Anybody got any bright ideas why /bin/mkdir.exe would suddenly stop working?
> CREATE/DIR still works fine.  I've wracked my brain, run strings on it
> (mkdir, not my brain), checked all kinds of protection codes, and still can't
> come up with anything.  Nothing peculiar about the name of the directory.
> Doesn't matter if I'm priveledged or not.  Doesn't matter if I fully qualify
> the name of the directory.  It isn't aliased in any way.
>
> /bin/mkdir.exe foo
> mkdir: cannot create foo/
>
> or some such message.  I've seen it happen on two different Eunice machines
> now.  I've got a mkdir shell script to work around it, but it's SLOW.
> Somebody help the poor boy!

You didn't say which version of Eunice or VMS you have.  We had a similar
problem with Eunice 3.1 with VMS 3.5.  If you set the protection for the
[000000] (root) directory on a volume to prohibit read access, then Eunice
couldn't create directories anymore.  The problem is fixed in Eunice 3.2.

					-Steve Williams
					{ihnp4,mot,ucscc,amdahl}!drivax!steve