MicroVax TCP/IP ?

Douglas Robinson dbr at cybvax0.UUCP
Wed Nov 7 04:40:49 AEST 1984

Ok, for the full scoop (as much as I can tell):

	1. Unisource is a company, NOT a piece of software.
	   It has NOTHING to do with the MicroVAX-I (uVAX-I).

	2. ULTRIX is DEC's version of 4.2BSD (NOTE:  They track
	   USENET and fix errors in code!  No more maintenance
	   problems.)

	3. ULTRIX for the uVAX-I has just been released by
	   DEC and is known as: 'ULTRIX-32m rel. 1.0'.

	4. This is a non-changeable (unless you get source) linked
	   kernel with all drivers that DEC supports for the
	   uVAX-I configuration.  A relinkable object file distribution
	   is in the works (a la ULTRIX-32 for the larger VAXen), but
	   won't be available for rel. 1.0.

	5. Adding drivers is a non-trivial problem!  The memory
	   map registers that you find on all larger VAX's are
	   NOT on uVAX-I so all devices are required to be MSCP
	   (so the driver can do scatter/gather for the machine).

	6. ULTRIX-32m WORKS WELL!  I have personnally MOVED
	   (NOT RECOMPILED, BUT COPIED) executables from an 11/750
	   running 4.2 BSD to this O/S and had them run without
	   problem! (5Mb in all!)

	7. uVAX-I is about the same speed as the 11/73.  It excells over
	   the 11/73 when overlays would be necessary and where a lot
	   of floating point is used (I have comparison benchmarks that
	   could be posted if enough desire becomes apparent).  It is
	   a little slower where 16 bit integers are involved.

	8. I am in the process of obtaining enough hardware to Ethernet
	   the uVAX-I and our 11/750 together.  This will be via 4.2BSD/
	   ULTRIX standard utilities using the DEQNA (Ethernet for
	   Q-Bus(22bit)) and the DEUNA (Ethernet for UNIBUS).  If desired,
	   I can post the results as well.

    I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
--
Doug Robinson		Jobs don't kill programmers... programmers kill jobs!
Cybermation, Inc.	617/492-8810

...!{mit-eddie, harvard, mirror}!cybvax0!dbr