version 2.10.2 inews under Eunice

Chip Rosenthal chip at t4test.UUCP
Mon Oct 1 11:39:07 AEST 1984

Version 2.10.2 news has been running for almost two weeks now on one
of our Eunice machines.  So, I have posted what it took to net.sources.
A couple of comments on what I've seen so far:

inews: running fine
expire: only run once, but looked like it ran OK
batch: looks good
vnews: definately buggy, but we don't use it, so I don't care (see note below)
readnews: only tried once or twice, but seemed to run (see note below)
postnews: seems to run (see note below)
sendbatch/unbatch: running fine
csendbatch/cunbatch:  AAARGH!!  I don't know who decided that cunbatch
    had to be a seperate program instead of an rnews switch, but it
    doesn't do us any good.  Unless you have a source license, you
    can't hack this into uuxqt.  We don't.  We can't.  AAARGH!!

On readnews/vnews:  We use Larry Wall's 'rn' news reader.  Larry has
specifically designed it to run under Eunice.  It is a great program.
Use it.  (Please note...there are also some problems with 'rn' under
Eunice.  I sent Larry my notes, so expect to see something from either
him or me on getting 'rn' going under Eunice.)

On postnews:  I've written my own version.  A long time ago I posted a
version which was a hack on Mark Horton's original postnews.c.  Much of
the 2.10.2 postnews is from these programs.  However, since I posted my
first version I've been making a lot of changes to it.  When cleaned up,
I'll be glad to share it.  Also included in the deal is a program to send
out mail replies with return path optomization.)

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{ idi|intelca|icalqa|kremvax|qubix|ucscc } ! t4test ! { chip|news }