temporary file names

Chip Rosenthal chip at t4test.UUCP
Thu Sep 20 17:22:18 AEST 1984

--- REFERENCED ARTICLE ---------------------------------------------

>From: keith at seismo.UUCP (Keith Bostic)
>Date: Mon, 17-Sep-84 15:08:51 PDT
>
>This is a dangerous fix on EUNICE machines.  The EUNICE shell does not
>increment process id's as expected under UNIX.

That is true...but `mktemp' works anyway.  As suggested, `mktemp'
just tries to stick the PID on then end of your template.  If that
already exists, it inserts an `a' before the PID.  If that exists,
it tries it with a `b'.  The result is that I will personally double
your money back guarantee you that you will be able to get at least
27 unique filenames for a given process ID.  What `mktemp' does after
`z', I'm not sure.  Who knows...maybe someday I'll find out the *hard*
way.

(Hey...we're getting some discussions going in net.eunice.  I love it!!)

--

Chip Rosenthal, Intel/Santa Clara
{ idi|intelca|icalqa|kremvax|qubix|ucscc } ! t4test ! { chip|news }