NAIVE EUNICE INFO REQUEST

Brian Gordon gordon at cae780.UUCP
Sun Feb 3 09:20:54 AEST 1985

In article <281 at calmasd.UUCP> jpm at calmasd.UUCP (John McNally) writes:

>1.  First, is eunice a UNIX-emulator for VMS?  I assume the answer
>to this is yes, or otherwise this message wouldn't be in this
>newsgroup.

Your assumption is right.

>2.  Just what does it emulate?  C shell?  Support C compiler and C
>calls to the OS (like sleep, exec, pipe, etc.)?  UUCP, mail, news?
>UNIX i/o philosophy?

When all goes well, it emulates a 4.1 UNIX environment - sh, csh, cc,
sleep, ...  It uses the nativs VMS file system, but provides the normal
4.1bsd access to it.

>3.  Who distributes it, how much does it cost, what support is
>available, are there multiple versions, are there multiple vendors?

It is distributed by The Wollogong Group (mail me a request for the
address if you can't get it otherwise - I'm at home at the moment,
without references).  There is, at any given moment, one version of the
4.1bsd version, although another (Sys V?) version will appear soon.  The
cost is non-trivial (like $16K - again without references handy) for
normal (non-academic) users, with normal maintenance.  There is also a
deluxe maintenance version.  There is only one distributer, and a
Unix license is required (available through TWG, if necessary, I believe.)

>4.  What versions of VMS does it require/desire?  I don't know
>much about VMS, so I don't even know if this is an intelligent
>question.  Are there any limitations to what machines it will run
>on (beyond the obvious requirement of VMS, which I assume means at
>least VAX only).

I have used it under VMS 3.5/6/7/8 (yes, there IS TOO a 3.8), and have
heard from reliable sources that a 4.0 version will be available soon.

>5.  Is it worth bothering with?

A non-trivial question, depending in part on exactly what you want to do
with it.  I'll be glad to enter into private correspondance with
interested parties.

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems
USENET: {ucbvax, ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amd!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, resonex, qubix, hplabs}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 1333 Bordeaux Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94089
AT&T:   (408)745-1440