preventing case translation

Barry Shein root at bu-cs.UUCP
Sun Mar 17 09:15:46 AEST 1985

'ls *.o' or anything like that involving wild-cards is not
likely to ever work correctly from DCL. Remember that
the wildcard expansions are done by the SHELL in unix,
not the individual programs. In UNIX or EUNICE what 'ls'
really sees as a result of that command is quite literally:

	'ls a.o b.o c.o etc.'

Try (from EUNICE/UNIX) for example: 'ls "*.o"' (double quotes
as shown) and I think you will see what I mean [*.o: No such file or Directory]

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

P.S. It doesn't mean it *couldn't* be made to work, just that it won't
as you show it. A more plausible form would be:

	sh -c "ls *.o"

which would invoke the shell on the command and hence take care of
the wildcards. If you can run sh or csh from VMS than you could probably
write a satisfactory, simple DCL command file to take your commands
and produce that, how about:

	$ unix ls *.o
anyone? As I said, I dunno if you can get 'sh' started from VMS.