vms PHONE ?

Jonathan C. Broome broome at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Dec 12 17:42:25 AEST 1985

In article <886 at ecsvax.UUCP> btt at ecsvax.UUCP (B. Todd Troost) writes:
>Does anyone have or know of a public domain version
>of the dec's PHONE program.

Assuming you want a *NIX version, I have a program that is similar to the
vms phone (I am told) that is currently in the "beta" test stage (ie, useable
but still has a few problems, also man page is pretty scant.)  It supports
multiple (> 2) users, command execution within a window, and a few other
tricks.  It runs under 4.[23] BSD, should run under 2.9/networking with
minal changes, and even works reliably on machines other than a VAX (try
that with "talk"!)  If anyone would like a copy, let me know, and I'll send one
a soon as it's ready (hopefully before Xmas) ...  Oh, and give me your vote
for a service port number (like in /etc/services), it'd be nice to standardize!

Jonathan C. Broome       University of California, Berkeley

          UUCP    ...!ucbvax!broome
          ARPA    broome at ucbvax.berkeley.edu