uuhosts: extract and display mod.map.all

John Quarterman jsq at ut-sally.UUCP
Mon Jan 7 03:03:16 AEST 1985

> > > XUnlike the version I posted some time back, this one doesn't have
> > > Xsecurity problems with extracting things from mod.map.all, and it
>
> What if I don't have a chroot system call? Oh well.. Here, this
> one does not use the shell at all... I thought I posted this before?
> Gotta have libndir though.

Can't say as I've run across many UNIX systems that don't have chroot.
You seem to be running 4.2BSD, so your system has it.  System V also has it.
It was introduced in Version 7, if I recall correctly.

Yes, you posted your program before.  And I posted mine before.  I claim
it's a lot easier to see that mine's more or less correct, as far as security,
since it depends only on chroot.  Also, mine not only extracts both the
UUCP and USENET maps, but (its main function) can be used to display them
to the user so that it is easy to discover information about a given host.
For example:

sally% uuhosts unmvax
UUCP mail path:
unmvax	gatech!unmvax!%s

UUCP mail host information:
#Name			unmvax
#System-CPU-OS		VAX 11/780 4.2BSD
#Organization		University of New Mexico, College of Engineering
#Contact		Lee Ward
#Electronic-Address	ucbvax!unmvax!lee
#Telephone		(505) 277-3112
#Postal-Address		Farris Engineering Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131
#Latitude-Longitude	N 35 deg. 4' 55"; W 106 deg. 37' 46"
#Remarks
#Written-by		mccallum 7/6/84
#
unmvax	anl-mcs(DAILY), csu-cs(DAILY), gatech(DAILY), genix(HOURLY),
	nmtvax(DAILY), convex(DAILY), ucbvax(DAILY/3), unm-la(DAILY),
	losa(DAILY), csu-cs(DAILY), lanl-a(DAILY), pur-ee(DAILY),
	unm-cvax(DAILY), unm-zia(HOURLY)
#
#	alternate name
#
unmvax = unm-rvax

USENET news host information:
Name: unmvax
Contact:  Lee Ward
Phone: (505) 277-3112
Postal-Address: Farris Engineering Center, Albuquerque, NM 87131
Electronic-Address: ucbvax!unmvax!lee
News: genix
Mail: gatech genix convex anl-mcs unm-la csu-cs nmtvax ucbvax avax cvax
	ivax cc70 cs ece psych
Comments: gatech genix convex anl-mcs unm-la csu-cs nmtvax ucbvax are reached
	via UUCP, avax cvax ivax cc70 cs ece psych are reached via Berknet.
	last edited 12/1/84

Doubtless people can make up their own minds as to which program to use.
If there is any continuation of this discussion, let's move it to
net.sources.bugs (or direct mail).
--

John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712 USA
jsq at ut-sally.ARPA, jsq at ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq