Using identifiers with more than 7 chars. #$%@

jpn at teddy.UUCP jpn at teddy.UUCP
Tue Mar 11 06:45:53 AEST 1986

>> I cannot sympathize.  I have a program that was posted to the net some
>> time ago called "shortc" which takes all conflicting long identifiers in
>> a set of source files, and outputs #defines to differentiate them...
>
>Most people with 7-character compilers have 7-character preprocessors
>to match.
>
>> Is there enough interest to have this program re-posted to the net?
>
>If it includes a long-identifier preprocessor, sure.  Otherwise, don't bother.

If you REALLY have a 7-character preprocessor, I would like to remind you
about the DECUS C preprocessor, which is available from mod.sources.  It
supports arbitrary preprocessor symbol lengths, as well as supporting the
new ANSI C preprocessor features (well, at least those that were proposed
at the time it was written), though the "new" preprocessor features can
be disabled (in fact, that's the way the makefile is set up by default.)

Please, I will not be able to respond to a million requests for this.  Please
check the latest mod.sources Index (it should still be on your systems, it is
not slated to expire until the 17 of March), and find out how to access the
archive from the nearest archive site.  (The entry is volume1/cpp).

John P. Nelson, Moderator, mod.sources
(decvax!genrad!panda!jpn  seismo!harvard!wjh12!panda!jpn)
Send source code to panda!sources, requests to panda!sources-request