VC

dmt at mtunb.UUCP dmt at mtunb.UUCP
Sat Jan 31 12:07:48 AEST 1987

In article <858 at aluxs.UUCP> cdl at aluxs.UUCP (MITCHELL) writes:
>> It seems to me that just because your program's Makefile produces a
>> binary called "vc" that doesn't mean that the program can't be called
>> "Joe's Wonderful Spreadsheet Program", which is much more likely to be
>> unique than "vc"...
>>
>> 	Wayne
>
>COME ON.. Wayne. Don't be ridiculous

Wayne isn't being at all ridiculous.  As a real live commercial example,
consider "Sidekick".  I'm sure Borland has protected the name "Sidekick",
but the actual character string that starts it up (and the name of the
executable file) is "SK".  Now I'm SURE that there are lots of languages,
systems, etc. that use SK for something else, but that's irrelevant.
The name of the PROGRAM is Sidekick; the name of the file happens to be
the easy-to-type SK.

There are lots of other examples in the PC world:
	Wordstar   ...   WS
	Windows    ...   WIN
just to name a couple.

{ Sorry to follow-up in this newsgroup.  What's the appropriate one now?
  I believe net.sources.d is dead. }

Dave Tutelman
Physical - AT&T Information Systems
	Room 1K218