B. Dalton from HELL

roy at phri.UUCP roy at phri.UUCP
Mon Jan 26 02:11:24 AEST 1987

[Note: I've directed followups to misc.consumers and slapped on a "na"
distribution since I don't think they even have B. Dalton in Europe]

	I don't understand all this pissing and moaning about B. Dalton.
They are in business to make money, which is not in itself an immoral thing
to do.  If they don't want to get involved with special orders because it
is not profitable for them, so be it.  How many clothing stores do you know
that will order one of something special for you?  Or supermarkets?  And
no, I don't really want to hear about your local counterexample.

	Anyway, my experience with major book publishers (unlike, I would
imagine, clothing manufacturers or yoghurt makers) has been that if you
call them up and find out the price, and the right address to send a check
(or credit card account number) to, they will be glad to ship you single
copies of any book they publish.  Many even accept returns in good
condition within N days.  You will pay list price, and maybe a premium in
the form of shipping and handling charges, but that's what you get for not
reading Sidney Sheldon paperbacks.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

"you can't spell deoxyribonucleic without unix!"