0x47e+barney not considered C

Mark Brader msb at sq.uucp
Thu Jul 7 04:20:14 AEST 1988

[If you see this article twice, my apologies]

The important question that hasn't been mentioned is this:

    How do existing compilers treat 0x47e+barney?

If -- as I would guess -- it is generally accepted, then the Standard should
accept it, and the current Draft needs a fix.

Without deep consideration I can't see why preprocessing numbers can't just
be assigned the same syntax as ordinary numbers.  Can't we have something
like
	preprocessing-number:
		floating-constant
		decimal-integer-constant
		hex-integer-constant
etc.?
(I'm winging this, but you get the idea.)

Mark Brader, Toronto		sed -e "s;??\\([-=(/)'<!>]\\);?\\\\?\\1;g"
utzoo!sq!msb, msb at sq.com	will fix them...	-- Karl Heuer