char *strcat(), *strcpy(), *fgets();

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ISC.COM
Fri Jul 1 22:54:20 AEST 1988

In article <19644 at watmath.waterloo.edu> jagardner at watmath.waterloo.edu (Jim Gardner) writes:
>Section 4.1.2 "Each header declares and defines only those identifiers listed
>in its associated section". Sounds like you can't put prototypes for any
>new str* in string.h. It also sounds like I can't put a prototype for
>__filbuf in stdio.h

It also sounds like I can't define the symbol _H_STDIO to lock out multiple
includes, since that would be defining an undocumented identifier.  Clearly
this isn't what the Committee meant.

It appears that 4.1.2 should be slightly rephrased.  Something on the order of
"Each header declares and defines no identifiers except those listed in its
associated section or the corresponding subsection of Future Library
Directions, or the globally reserved identifiers."