Pointer to void (was: function returning pointer to itself)

Rick Coates rickc at agora.UUCP
Sat Jul 23 01:52:29 AEST 1988

I did not intend to appeal to authority with my comment about
Microsoft C (_especially_ Microsoft) in my previous posting - it
was just a comment.

I don't have a copy of the dpANSI standard - but I do
have the second edition of K&R. On page 199, they discuss void pointers
with no mention of restrictions about pointer to functions.
(Also a comment - I am _not_ saying that K&R are the authority).

Seems (offhand - I haven't spent years of my life thinking about this
issue) that a void pointer should be for any pointer, not just data.

Can someone elaborate on why ANSI does not allow void pointers for
functions?

Rick Coates

tektronix!reed!percival!agora!rickc
OR