Trigraphs.

Steve Summit scs at athena.mit.edu
Fri Jun 17 13:10:22 AEST 1988

Here's what I don't understand about trigraphs in character
strings (the only kind I'm worried about): of what possible
utility are they?  As I understand it, trigraphs let you utter
characters, which you need in C, which your local terminal
doesn't understand.  However, the thing you usually do with
strings is print them out (usually on your local terminal) so if
your local terminal can't handle the character, why is it
important to have a special way to encode it within a string?

If I am overlooking some obvious or oft-discussed fact, or if I
am repeating Ray Butterworth's argument, please respond by mail
or not at all; the net has had about enough trigraph articles.

                                            Steve Summit
                                            scs at adam.pika.mit.edu