The \c escape

Patrick Powell papowell at attila.uucp
Sun Jun 19 01:49:31 AEST 1988

In article <4604 at haddock.ISC.COM> karl at haddock.isc.com (Karl Heuer) writes:
>Add new escape sequence \c.
>
>Summary
>
>This proposal cleans up two warts in the language: initializing a character
>array without adding a null character, and terminating a hexadecimal escape
>which might be followed by a valid hexadecimal digit.  It also allows the user
>to explicitly document when a null character is unnecessary, e.g.
>write(1,"\n\c",1).

This is FAR too reasonable, clean, clear, simple, trivial to implement,
does not break existing systems, etc., to even make it out the door.

I think that you should aim for something more cryptic...  difficult to
word...  you know,  sort of "klugdy"...  perhaps tied in with the preprocessor.
And needing a keyword.

Patrick Powell
Prof. Patrick Powell, Dept. Computer Science, 136 Lind Hall, 207 Church St. SE,
University of Minnesota,  Minneapolis, MN 55455 (612)625-3543/625-4002