Why trigraphs? What happened to the DIgraphs?

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Jun 19 12:25:38 AEST 1988

> If you're going to followup with an improved proposal, please note that there
> are nine characters ( #[\]^{|}~ ) to be handled.

One can get quite inventive if one really tries, and it's not that hard
to come up with things that don't conflict with normal C:

	#	%%
	[	<%
	\	!%
	]	%>
	^	&%
	{	(%
	|	:%
	}	%)
	~	?%

However, I don't really think it's worth the trouble.  The real solution
is ISO Latin 1.  Ten years hence, the issue will be seen as an amusing
historical curiosity.  It does not matter whether the sequences look good
or bad; they're never going to get used much.  It would be nicer to get
rid of them entirely, and that will probably happen when the standard
is revised some years down the road, but they're not worth all the fuss.
--
Man is the best computer we can      |  Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
put aboard a spacecraft. --Von Braun | {ihnp4,decvax,uunet!mnetor}!utzoo!henry