Trigraphs.

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.MASA.COM
Mon Jun 13 23:26:26 AEST 1988

In article <19345 at watmath.waterloo.edu> rbutterworth at watmath.waterloo.edu (Ray Butterworth) writes:
>So, putting this all together, regardless of what the compiler's
>character set is, it is only the French-ASCII terminal that has
>any need of the trigraphs....
>..........I'm sure it would be cheaper if we all chipped in
>and bought new terminals for those few individuals and then
>completely dropped the concept of trigraphs from the Standard.

I have been following the trigraphs discussion in comp.unix.wizards closely
to try and determine what exactly a trigraph is and why it has caused
so much discussion. Not being a wizard, I have no intention of interrupting
an ongoing discussion just to say 'hey folks, what is this thing?'.

If all this broohaha is over a method of representing non-standard characters
on non-standard terminals in minority situations, then I (like rbutterworth)
feel there has been far too much adoo over a trivial problem (not meaning to
trivialize the French terminals, mind you). If there is a farther-reaching
concept which I am not grasping, please e-mail a definition of trigraphs.

Dave Hammond
UUCP:   ...!marob!daveh