Variable length arg lists for macros

ML rss at ece-csc.UUCP
Thu Sep 1 12:58:30 AEST 1988

In a previous article u5565522 at ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au (David Clunie) wrote:
>How do people feel about the idea of preprocessor macros with variable
>length argument lists ?

I for one would love it.  Plenty of times I've wanted macros like:

#define trace(...)  if (TraceFlag) fprintf(stderr, ...)
#define crash(rc,...)  { fprintf(stderr,...); return(rc); }

etc. etc.

This seems like it would be a simple and useful addition to the preprocessor,
and one which could be implemented in a fairly painless way.  Would it really
be that difficult to add to the standard?  (No flames please, that's a
serious question based upon my own ignorance :-)

One yes vote here...

             Mark Lanzo
     borrowing      ...!mcnc!ece-csc!rss