Variable length arg lists for macros

Michael Meissner meissner at xyzzy.UUCP
Sun Sep 4 00:10:50 AEST 1988

In article <438 at ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au> u5565522 at ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au (David Clunie) writes:
| How do people feel about the idea of preprocessor macros with variable
| length argument lists ?
|
| The concept has already been enshrined for true functions, allowing
| protoypes for things like the printf() family of functions, and a set of
| portable functions and macros to access the list of arguments.

As Doug mentioned this has come before the ANSI committee and did not get
the necessary 2/3 vote to get it in.  Let me mention something that came
up in our discussion:  Namely that it is desirable that you have two
different forms of this, one for the times that you want the comma supplied
if there are extra arguments, and the other for times when you don't want
the comma.  Otherwise you could get compilation errors if no extra arguments
were passed.
--
Michael Meissner, Data General.

Uucp:	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!meissner