C function prototyping and large projects

Russell Crook russ at motto.UUCP
Thu Sep 15 01:56:25 AEST 1988

(line eater fodder)

(Posted for a development group here that doesn't have direct net
access. Please mail replies to russ at motto).

We are just starting to use function prototypes, and are looking for
suggestions on how to use them.

We know that the Microsoft C compiler can automatically generate
function prototypes.  Where do you go from there?  When developing
a large program, composed of many source files, how do you
make sure each file picks up the right prototypes for the functions
it uses?  Are there conventions about where prototypes are stored -
do you put them in '.h' files, or right in the source file, or
somewhere else?  Do you put all the prototypes for an entire program
in one file, or do you use some means of only picking up the ones
which are needed?  If you put them all in, does it affect compile
time significantly?

Do you regenerate the prototypes automatically, every time you rebuild
or whenever the source file changes, or what?

We also do cross-development under VMS - does anyone have a portable
program to generate function prototypes?

--
Russell Crook (UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!motto!russ)
Disclaimer: "...we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."