__STDC__ and POSIX

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 21 05:42:29 AEST 1989

In article <12040007 at hpfcdc.HP.COM> donn at hpfcdc.HP.COM (Donn Terry) writes:
>>As an acceptable but slightly less convenient alternative that can
>>be coped with easily by POSIX applications adding -D_POSIX_SOURCE to
>>CFLAGS in Makefiles:
>What's wrong with putting it in the program?  That was the intent.

I personally don't mind doing that, but I've been told that it would
annoy other customers.  They may have tens of thousands of source
files that they would like to compile with a POSIX-compliant "cc",
and apparently it is not considered feasible for them to do a massive
global edit of all their source files.