__STDC__ and non-conforming ANSI C compilers

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jan 21 02:21:43 AEST 1989

In article <8792 at megaron.arizona.edu> mike at arizona.edu (Mike Coffin) writes:
>Now people are instead advocating setting it to 1 even if the compiler
>is nonconforming, so long as the non-conformance is "minor" or
>"harmless."

Only in cases where NO strictly-conforming application could tell
the difference.  That's the only circumstance for which I think
__STDC__ has a genuine use in applications.  The worst effect it
could have on not strictly conforming applications is that they
might not try to use compatible vendor extensions since they
would be led to think that they didn't exist in this environment.
That doesn't bother me one bit.