POSIX, ANSI C, and __STDC__

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Jan 22 08:29:37 AEST 1989

In article <8825 at megaron.arizona.edu> mike at arizona.edu (Mike Coffin) writes:
-From article <915 at sfmin.UUCP>, by dfp at sfmin.UUCP (D.F.Prosser):
-> I would propose that __STDC__ be #defined to be 0 in C compilation systems
-> that meet all ANSI C conformance requires except for:
-> If __STDC__ is 1, the compilation system must be conforming.
-This sounds to me like a very good system.  Is there any chance that a
-note to this effect could appear in pANS (as a footnote) or in the
-rationale?  I realize that pANS can not dictate the actions of
-nonconforming compilers, but I think that if the above appeared ---
-even as a footnote --- most compilers would honor it.

As the main "noisemaker" about this issue, I'll back such a solution
if it appears that we can get a solid majority of the compiler vendors
to adhere to it (and to NOT #define __STDC__ at all in any other case).

Basically, as an application developer I just need to know what __STDC__
means, so I can determine how to use it to my advantage.  I feel sure
it HAS a use, if the vendors don't ruin it..