ANSI C token set (including $ and @)

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Tue Jan 24 06:11:14 AEST 1989

In article <9470 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>It's still the case that $ is not going to appear in foo$bar
>context in a strict conforming application...

I repeat a previous comment:  as far as I can tell, there is no rule saying
that a strictly-conforming program can't use $ in this context, provided
that it disappears (or hides inside a string or whatever) before the end
of preprocessing.  I do believe that appearance of such a character in a
context where it isn't being ignored *ought* to make a program non-strictly-
conforming, but I cannot find anything in the Oct draft that *says* this.
--
Allegedly heard aboard Mir: "A |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
toast to comrade Van Allen!!"  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu