Reserved names in ANSI C

David Collier-Brown davecb at yunexus.UUCP
Mon Jul 10 23:56:24 AEST 1989

jeffrey at algor2.uu.net (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
| [ Discussion of mine of avoiding name conflicts, along with facetious ]
|  [ suggestion variables be numbered in the first six characters for ]
|  [ distinctness under ANSI C ]
| Norman has a lot of good things (which I did not quote) to say, and
| that a competent person like him would advocate a miserable naming
| system like the above shows the desperation to which the six character
| limit is going to drive us all.
|
| The amount of effort that some projects are going to have to go
| through to obey the 6 character limit will rewrite many a linker.

  This discussion comes around about every six months.  Ahem:

0) 6 characters is a lower limit of significance. You're allowed to use more.
1) Some few companies won't fix their linkers (And don't run Unix, so I hardly care)
2) The process for fixing a linker with "backwards compatibility" is well-known
3) Almost everyone will have to fix their linkers for Ada, or not be able to get
   US (and some Canadian/NATO) government contracts.

Mail me if you want me to post "how to upgrad a linker" once again (probably to
comp.algorithms (;-)).

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb at yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave