(char *)(-1)

david Fridley david at psitech.UUCP
Mon Jul 31 16:38:36 AEST 1989

In article <18792 at mimsy.UUCP>, chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
> >>... if NULL is returned there was an error getting the next string,
> >>if (-1) is returned there were no more symbols.
>
> >Is it safe to return -1?

To quote from the my UNIX System V (Release 3.0) Programmers Reference manual
for BRK(2) (page 141):

NAME
	brk,sbrk - change data segment allocation
SYNOPSIS
	int brk (endds)
	char *endds;

	char *sbrk (incr)
	int incr;
		:
		:

DIAGNOSTICS
    Upon successful completion, brk returns a value 0 and sbrk returns the old
    break value.  Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to
    indicate the error.

Here we see that sbrk(), a standard UNIX function, which returns a character
pointer will return (-1).  This is the functioin used by malloc() to get
free more free memory from the operation system.

--
david.
DISCLAIMER: If it's important have a backup.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.