__STDC__

T. William Wells bill at twwells.com
Wed Jul 5 10:39:17 AEST 1989

In article <12378 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> scs at adam.pika.mit.edu (Steve Summit) writes:
: Even so, I can provide a realistic example of why mucking with
: __STDC__ would be useful: suppose I am interested in keeping my
: code compatible with earlier, non-ANSI compilers (a far from
: hypothetical suggestion).  If my primary development machine uses
: an ANSI compiler, I might from time to time want to check if the
: changes and additions I have been making are (at least
: syntactically) still usable on the non-ANSI machine, without
: necessarily taking all of the code over to the old machine and
: compiling it.  It seems natural to say
:
:       cc -U__STDC__
:
: yet this is forbidden.

In fact, for exactly the reasons you mention, I modified gcc's
preprocessor to permit me to do just that.

---
bill at twwells.com