Reserved names in ANSI C

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Sun Jul 2 09:43:30 AEST 1989

In article <461 at algor2.UUCP> jeffrey at algor2.UUCP (Jeffrey Kegler) writes:
>Whose linker was this, anyway, that we are going to spend the next two
>decades wrecking our code for?

Any linker that supports the bare minimum for FORTRAN.  There are more
such linkers in the world than you'd think.

> (Couldn't the ANSI C committee have
>found a linker somewhere that was restricted to 5 characters...

Can you say "Data General"?  I knew you could! :-)  Fortunately, as I
understand it, even DG agreed that this was DG's mistake, and nobody
seriously suggested munging the standard to match.
--
$10 million equals 18 PM       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
(Pentagon-Minutes). -Tom Neff  | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu