const in latest draft

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Mon Jun 5 21:50:25 AEST 1989

In article <16428 at gryphon.COM> sarima at gryphon.COM (Stan Friesen) writes:
>	In the User's Guide to Lattice 3.4, in section 5.3.5, it states:
>"ANSI has reserved 'const' to describe an object that never changes *within*
>*the* *module* that declares it as 'const',...".

I think the first problem is that this is an over-simplified description
of what the semantics of the "const" type qualifier.

Perhaps Lattice's interpretation was a consequence of the admittedly
confusing specification for type qualifiers in earlier drafts of the
standard.

Certainly a non-volatile const object can be allocated to ROM.