Draft releases

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Jun 8 07:58:36 AEST 1989

In article <10335 at socslgw.csl.sony.JUNET> diamond at csl.sony.junet (Norman Diamond) writes:
>But what do we do when the publisher refuses to sell copies?

I don't know what you're talking about.  Drafts of the proposed C Standard
have been offered for sale (and still are).  There is no ANSI C Standard
yet, so it obviously cannot have been offered for sale yet; it will be.

>(Anyone know what copyright law says in such a case?)

If the material is properly marked when first published (NOT when first
printer for internal use, as many X3.159 drafts have been), it is illegal
to rip it off even if you can't find any way to buy it.  The publisher is
NOT obligated to sell you a copyright work.