Mark Williams C

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Jun 10 01:39:20 AEST 1989

In article <1188 at cbnewsc.ATT.COM> nevin1 at ihlpb.ATT.COM (nevin.j.liber) writes:
>Does this mean the ANS C v2 won't have any new keywords??  I doubt it.

Certainly, adding keywords risks breaking code that used them as identifiers.
I don't envision keywords being added, although something like "noalias" might
be adopted for __STDC__==2.

>As a matter of fact, There is terribly little that can be added to C which
>will not break existing pANS C v1 code ...

Several vendors have found conforming ways to extend the language
specified by Standard C.  Other ways one might think of currently
require a diagnostic, which does not pose a compatibility problem
were the current constraints to be relaxed.  GCC supports several
such syntactic extensions.