Reserved names in ANSI C

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Jun 22 18:05:24 AEST 1989

In article <1598 at cbnewsh.ATT.COM> ka at hulk.att.com writes:
>I know that ANSI C reserves all names that begin with and underscore,
>and I just learned from the above quote that it reserves all names
>beginning with "str".  Are there other names to be avoided as well?

Not all names beginning with underscore are reserved; for example,
applications may use structure members named e.g. _hidden.
Similarly, it is only external names for which the str prefix is
reserved (for future standardization).  There are several name
spaces in C, and reserved names usually are restricted to a subset
of the totality of name spaces.

A complete list should be given in any book proclaiming "ANSI C"
on its cover, of which there are several.