Identifier length?

Robert Claeson prc at maxim.ERBE.SE
Thu Mar 16 08:29:33 AEST 1989

I tried to, but was unable to cancel my previous artice (I *know* that
I should use the 'c' key in vnews -- I did that and it just told me
"Can't cancel what you didn't write").

In article <627 at maxim.ERBE.SE>, I wrote:

> How long can local (to the file) and external identifiers be in ANSI C?
> And will POSIX specify an other identifier length?

What I'm asking for in this terse, cryptic manner is the maximum number
of characters that an identifier can have in pure ANSI C and ANSI C
in a POSIX environment, respectively. I'm ANSIfying some software and
don't want to shrink my looong, beautiful names more than neccesary.

--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
Tel: +46 (0)758-202 50  Fax: +46 (0)758-197 20