Initialized bitfileds - help me read

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Fri Mar 17 10:45:25 AEST 1989

In <1989Mar15.165019.21562 at utzoo.uucp> utzoo!henry (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In <13363 at steinmetz.ge.com> crdos1!davidsen (bill davidsen) writes:
>>Are there any *standard* caveats about bitfield initialization? ...
>
>One:  many old compilers won't do it, or don't do it correctly.

Since Bill posted to comp.std.c and referenced the (d)pANS, I presume that old
(in the sense of pre-ANSI) compilers are not the issue.  On the other hand,
since he didn't post some sample code and output, I'm also not sure what the
problem is.  The only such bitfield confusion I know of offhand concerns the
rules for structs that have unnamed bitfields.  Is that what we're talking
about?